Sunday, March 21, 2004

New PR at the Uptown Run

My daughter, wife and I went to the Uptown Run yesterday. I ran with my daughter in the Kids K and then I raced in the 5k (there was also a 5 mile, but I didn't want to race that far a week before my marathon). It was very warm for mid-March (it got into the 80s yesterday) so it was really my first warm weather workout in months.

I set a huge new PR for the mile. My first mile was 9:39; my previous mile PR was 10:00. However, I had to push hard to go that fast and I couldn't sustain it so I slowed down after that. I still set a PR for the distance of 31:30, 14 seconds better than my last 5k.

I have to say that I am getting tired of these big races. Too many people, too much confusion, fighting crowds and dodging people most of the race. There were too many events yesterday: Kids K, 5k run, 5 mile run, 5k Trolley Walk, Special Olympics Run, Elite 5 mile run. There were numerous finish lines and they actually changed the 5k finish line in the middle of the race. My wife and daughter didn't see me finish because they were sent to the 5 Mile finish line. It was pretty annoying.

I think my favorite race was the Lake Benbrook Half Marathon--only a few hundred racers, freezing weather, no chips, no medals, no bands or annoying TV personalities or loud music, just a nice race in a park and lake setting. That's one thing I'm looking forward to about ultras--smaller fields, low-key events, less focus on the carnival aspect of the race and more focs on the race itself.

The Texas Marathon is one week from tomorrow. Time to taper and rest!