Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Speedwork Today

Today I did intervals at the track, although I probably should have just done some easy miles. I'm still feeling tired from my over exertion last weekend (race on Saturday, 18.5 miles on Sunday). In any case my times weren't too bad; one was below 9:00 min. per mile, which I think is a record for me.

6 x .50 mile intervals/.25 recovery
4:52
5:06 (this was slower than race pace in last Saturday's 5 mile race!!)
4:51
4:34
4:52
4:29

I used my Garmin Forerunner for my intervals for the first time today. The Forerunner has several different options for interval training--Speed Time/Rest Time, Speed Distance/Rest Distance, Speed Distance/Rest Time. I used Speed Distance (.50 miles) and Rest Distance (.25 miles). It worked really well, alerting me when to stop the speed interval and then counting down the distance of the recovery interval. It made my interval training much easier and more consistent. This little Forerunner is a wonder! I can't recommend it enough.