Thursday, July 08, 2004

Just a quick update

A quick update from San Antonio. It's been a busy trip--it seems it's been harder than usual to balance family and work, I guess since I'm going out every evening with the family instead of staying home the way we normally would. But we've had fun--they went to the Alamo and the IMAX movies, we all saw the new Harry Potter movie on the IMAX screen, we ate dinner at the Riverwalk, the usual San Antonio stuff. Next time we come I'd like to do the Mission tour--my wife and I did it years ago and really enjoyed it; I think my daughter would really like it now that she's older and getting a better understanding of history.

As for walking, I overslept yesterday. Our daughter had a bad night sleeping and I didn't get much sleep. I still set the alarm on my running watch for 4:30 AM so I could get in a long walk; instead I woke up at about 7:15 AM holding the watch!

Today I successfully got up at about 4:30 and headed to a walking/running trail someone told me about. It is by the University of Texas Health Science Center at Babcock and Wurzbach. It's a simple asphalt 1/2 mile path with two lanes, one for walkers and one for runners. It wasn't crowded when I was there and it was nice to be able to go any distance by looping. I wanted to do a long mileage day so I did 13 miles (26 loops, phew!). I felt good the whole time and kept an incredibly steady pace, ending up with an average pace of 11:01 per mile.

Now I'll get a little more work done and then start driving home this afternoon. It will be good to get home!

Thanks to everyone for recent comments on my blog. I've been a little behind on my commenting (as Mark pointed out recently--Thanks, Mark!) but I've made an effort to get out and read everyone's recent posts and make some comments as possible. Thanks to everyone for the traffic on my blog! I get a lot out of reading everyone's thoughts and accomplishments. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Distance: 13.0 miles
Time: 2:23:25
Pace: 11:01