Tuesday, June 29, 2004

My first Long Run Tuesday

In preparation for the Ultracentric 24 hour race I'm starting to build up to three long runs per week (preferably in the 3-5 hour range). Today I started that process by walking 10.5 miles. It's not a really long walk yet; I don't want to increase my distance too aggressively and injure myself or burn out. I was able to keep a pretty good pace and felt good the whole time. On the way to work I had some discomfort behind my left knee but it has mostly subsided.

It will be difficult to get my long weekend walk this week; I've got an 8k race Sunday morning. I haven't decided if I want to walk at the lake after the race or get up Monday morning (work holiday) and do it. Sunday would be preferable so that I could sleep in on Monday and so that my training week would not be disrupted, but I don't know if I'll feel like walking 17+ miles after a race. I guess I'll just play it by ear.

This afternoon I'm off to San Antonio for a quick business trip so I'll be doing tomorrow's mileage on the hotel treadmill.

Distance: 10.50 miles
Time: 1:56:13
Pace: 11:04